Engineering Technician - Construction
Company: SJS Executives, LLC
Posted on: December 2, 2019
Location: US-NC-Jacksonville Job ID: 2 # of Openings: 1 Category:
Construction Overview SJS Executives is seeking an Engineering
Technician. Our ideal candidate extensive technical and practical
knowledge, and experience as an Engineering Technician.
- Incumbent must successfully complete the "CQM for Contractors"
course associated with the ACOE.
- Provide overall coordination of the construction quality
management program for assigned projects.
- In conjunction with the Construction Manager (CM), review and
provide recommendations toward approval of contractor quality
- Attend selective quality control, preparatory and initial
meetings, and monitor three-phase checklists for accuracy and
- Provide relevant remarks on Government Quality Assurance (QA)
reports (or in identified section of Contractor's Quality Control
(QC) reports), particularly on critical, definable features of work
- Take/file/distribute progress photos.
- Validate quantity, condition, and approval of materials on site
prior to Government issuing invoice payments.
- Coordinate support to review and witness successful testing and
commissioning/certification of critical systems (i.e., mechanical -
HVAC/TABS/DALTS/DDC, electrical -Pad Mounted Transformers/High-
Voltage Systems/Switchgear/Automatic Transfer Switches/Frequency
Converters, fire and life safety/fire protection systems, roofing
systems, and underwater structures). Assure quality workmanship in
accordance with specifications and industry standards on
steel/bolting/welding and other building materials/structural
systems, as required.
- Attend/witness selected tests and review all applicable test
reports and results.
- Incumbent keeps the Government sponsor advised as to the status
of projects under his/her administrative and technical control, but
the responsibility to plan and carry out the assignment is
- perform cursory review of Activity Hazard Analyses (AHAs) and
ensure via the Site Safety and Health Officer (SSHO) that these are
discussed by the construction contractor and their respective
subcontractors prior to beginning each work activity or when a new
work crew is to perform the work in accordance with the three
phases of QC.
- Review and provide recommendations towards acceptance of Crane
Critical Lift Plans, along with crane operation qualifications and
certificate of compliance.
- Incumbent must be familiar with crane safety requirements and
NAVFAC P-307 (Management of Weight Handling equipment).
- Observe critical lifts.
- Ensure construction contractor is conducting monthly site
safety self-evaluations and submitting the information with the pay
vouchers/invoices; perform worksite safety assessments, as
- Take appropriate, timely action to ensure construction
contractor compliance of safety and health requirements, including
leading safety stand-downs, as required, and recommending dismissal
of key construction contractor staff from the project due to
non-performance or recurring violations.
- Ensure reporting of contractor significant incidences/near
misses with a focus that corrective actions have been taken.
Perform cursory review/QA of Contractor's Significant Incidence
Reports (CSIRs) and OSHA Form 300 (Contractor's Log of Work Related
Injuries and Illnesses). Provide additional support (as needed) in
mishap investigations where property damage is > $500,000,
injury and/or occupation injury results in fatality or permanent
partial/total disability, or three or more personnel are
hospitalized for inpatient care as a result of a single
- Support extensive contact with key construction contractor
representatives to promote an atmosphere of partnering and
cooperation and to quickly resolve problems and maintain
- Coordinating temporary utility and communication hook-ups for
contractor, coordinating utility outages and road closures.
- Assisting with coordination of the installation of
cylinders/cores, keying system, and turnover of keys to
owner/occupant and coordination of the facility system training for
owner/occupants/PW shops personnel.
- Reviewing pre-final contract drawings and specifications
(particularly Division 01 administrative requirements) and
technical RFPs, respectively. Perform on-site visits to review
constructability and compatibility with actual field
- Provide technical knowledge of local conditions, including
availability of construction materials and skilled labor. For
problems found, make solution recommendations for designer
- Actively participate in partnering sessions, depending on the
nature and scope of the construction contract. Facilitate effective
relationships and processes between contractors, Supported Command,
and government team members.
- Support the review/approval of all Government-approved
technical and administrative submittals, including, but not limited
to, the schedule of prices, contractor's baseline critical path
schedule, accident prevention plan, activity hazard analyses,
safety and health plan, quality control plan, test plans/reports,
performance verification tests of major systems, etc.
- Investigating engineering problems that may arise on
construction contracts, such as unforeseen conditions, contractor
requests for information (RFIs), and dimension conflicts. Make
recommendations for solutions to the CM.
- Supporting preliminary scheduling meeting and review 3-week
look ahead schedules (as applicable). Review updates of the
baseline schedule with the CM to determine if contractor is ahead,
on or behind. Review the critical activities to ensure the work on
the construction contract remains focused on completion in the most
reasonable time. As necessary (particularly when a contractor is
falling behind schedule), participate in the bi-weekly look-ahead
meetings with the construction contractor to review project
scheduling problems or concerns.
- Reviewing and annotating, as required, contractor daily
- Assuring environmental compliance by contractor and coordinate
EPA jobsite visits, when required.
- Reviewing and verifying the accuracy of as-built drawings in
support of invoice payments.
- When applicable, coordinating with CM and issue non-compliance
notice to contractor.
- Arranging and coordinating pre-final and final acceptance
inspections and tracking completion of punch list items.
- Supporting the closeout process, including delivery of as-built
drawings, warranties, Operations & Maintenance (O&M) manuals,
and spare parts turnover. Contracting Officer Support
- Reviewing contractor invoices for accuracy against actual
work-in-place. Recommend approval/disapproval/partial payment to
- Supporting CM and acquisition team in the modification process,
including assistance with generating government estimates/proposal
reviews and negotiations. Provide "field" level evaluation of
contractor's proposal for constructability, hidden costs,
alternative methods, etc. Avoid constructive changes and
unauthorized commitments to the contract. Qualifications
- U.S. Citizen - Proof of Citizenship will be required
- Valid Driver's License
- Ability to obtain base access
- Must drive Personally Operated Vehicle (POV) between
- 5 years of verified experience as a Quality Control Manager
working for General Contractors on NAVFAC or U.S. Army Corps of
Engineers (ACOE) projects OR 10 years of verified foreman
experience in one or more of following trades: Concrete,
Mechanical, Electrical, Masonry, or Carpentry SJS Executives, LLC
is EOE, AA, M/F/Vet/Disability compliant. US Citizenship required
for most jobs.
Keywords: SJS Executives, LLC, Jacksonville , Engineering Technician - Construction, Professions , Jacksonville, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!