Public Safety Reporter
Location: New Bern
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Tuesday, May 18, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and
digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed
to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the
national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions
with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local
media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a
wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more
than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital
marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and
WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and
runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The New Bern Sun
part of the USA TODAY
NETWORK,is seeking a public
safetyand breaking news reporter who can
take a deep dive into public safety coverageand
Pushing beyond police
narratives, blotters and briefs, this reporter will track trends,
dig into data, search records and become immersed in the community
to cover crime, public
safetyand courtsin ways that have
lasting impact and point toward solutions.
Key coverage areas
- Court cases of interest and high-profile
cases in district and federal court,
- Weather news when severe weather impacts the
daily lives of the New Bern audience
- Trending topics related to crime, safety, court,
weather and environment
He/she puts stories into context
and has an enterprising approach to the beat. The reporter writes
breaking crime news that warrants follow-up coverage and looks for
common threads by getting to know people beyond official sources
and connecting with real people who live and work in
Craven County neighborhoods.
New Bern is the colonial capital
of North Carolina with a vibrant downtown that meets at the
convergence of two rivers. The community has a rich arts culture
and attracts retires who bring a wealth of knowledge, resources,
and potential to the county of 100,000 people. Craven County is
growing but there remains a focus on local business and
restaurants. New Bern was recently named one of the top best small
towns in the South by Southern Living, the only small town in North
Carolina to receive recognition.
- Creates content (articles, videos, photos and
social media posts) about local news that accurately informs,
entertains and engages key audiences and platforms
through the use ofmetrics.
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex
- Works toward becoming the communitys leading voice in
area of expertise of local growth and development.
- Plans and executes engagement opportunities to reach
audiences through content, community events and social
- Connects with the community through outreach (social
media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.).
- Works with coach and content strategist to evaluate
what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better
satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate
elements for stories (i.e., Photos, videos and
- Produces photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the
- Coaches and mentors less-experienced
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find
answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or masters degree in communications,
journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of
education and experience.
- 2 years reporting experience, which could include
freelancing, internships and college publication work.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce
content that is clean, accurate and "publication
- Passionate about news and content that will work well
with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful
- Willingness to grow and develop a key beat in our
- Comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook,
Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote
- Understanding of reporting ethics and
- Excel in a fast-paced news environment and understands
the digital first mission.
- Collaborate well with others and can work with a team on
the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid drivers license, reliable
transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer
pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check &
drug screen (for driving roles only).
Gannett Co., Inc.is a proud equal
opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to
a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates
regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital
status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity,
family responsibilities, disability, education, political
affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family
- Job Function
- Pay Type
Keywords: Gannett, Jacksonville , Public Safety Reporter, Other , New Bern, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!