Company: North Carolina Outward Bound School
Posted on: April 8, 2021
Reports To: Director of Program Operations
FLSA Status: Seasonal Exempt
Timeline: Mid-April to mid-August
Location: Outer Banks, NC, near Beaufort (OBX)
Supervision: Course Directors, Instructors, Logistics
ACA Position Category: Variable
For over 50 years, North Carolina Outward Bound School (NCOBS) has
been delivering challenging outdoor adventure programs for people
of all ages and walks of life. Every Outward Bound course is built
around a progression that delivers powerful life lessons by
encouraging participants to safely and confidently step outside
their comfort zones while traveling in spectacular wilderness
areas, interacting through virtual team building sessions, or
problem-solving at an urban challenge course. No matter where or
how it's delivered, our mission is to change lives through
challenge and discovery.
The Program Director (PD) position is responsible for setting a
high standard of excellence in regards to the leadership,
management, and development of the program to ensure that the North
Carolina Outward Bound School conducts safe, meaningful, and
high-quality programs for its students and staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Program & Safety Management:
- Manage all NCOBS courses conducted in the OBX, and ensure they
remain true to the mission, values, and principles of NCOBS.
- Ensure all programs adhere to the OBUSA and NCOBS safety
policies and procedures as well as Local Operating Procedures and
administrative directives. Update LOPs annually.
- Manage and fill the role of Base Camp Incident Commander for
- Participate in, support, and document internal investigations
under the direction of their supervisor, Safety & Training
Director, HR Director, or designee.
- Create course schedules, instructional pairings, and other
program quality duties.
- Develop and manage all facilities, systems, and resources at
the base. This includes overseeing the base opening and
- Ensure maintenance of gear, safety equipment, and base-used
sites occurs regularly and as needed. Work with the Resource
Manager to assure all necessary purchases are made prior to each
- Manage relationships with local land managers and public
agencies and work with the Resource Manager to ensure permits are
in order. Maintain relationships with service providers.
- Ensure environmental and community stewardship of course areas
and activity sites.
- Work with Student Services and Director of Program
Operations/designee to address student issues as they arise.
- Review and respond to course paperwork. Ensure Course Reports
are completed and reviewed; expedite Incident Reports that are Near
Miss or Worker's Comp. related.
- Conduct field visits to assure the quality and safety of
- Regularly communicate safety and quality information to
supervisor, Program Team, and other appropriate administrative
Staff Development & Management:
- Work with the Human Resource department on addressing
performance, development, and pay issues.
- Assist Staffing Coordinator with hiring, onboarding, and
scheduling as needed.
- Supervise Course Director(s) (if applicable), Logistics, and
- Review all staff evaluations and assure communication on
performance. Organize and participate in a mentoring system that
includes completion of professional summaries.
- Assist in the development of training and participate as a
trainer during base training season.
- Course Direct up to 95% of the time and, as needed,
- Serve as a member of the NCOBS Program Team; provide input and
assist with projects to achieve school-wide objectives and
- Work with supervisor to create vision, goals, and strategic
direction for the OBX program.
- Provide input to school administration on budget, an annual
calendar, product mix, and new and existing program
- Oversee all base expenses with an eye for fiscal
responsibility. Responsible for budget forecast/tracking.
- Assist Advancement Team with the review of marketing materials,
Web site design and donor leads.
- Coordinate with all school departments to ensure a cooperative
and supportive system.
- Report monthly calculation of Student Progam Days and other
program key indicators.
- Serve as a point person for special offerings (Board events,
etc.); coordinate facility and personnel needs for training,
meetings, and events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to lift 75 pounds and participate in vigorous to
moderate physical activity including but not limited to
- Irregular work hours as necessary.
- Strong personal and professional sea kayaking experience.
- ACA Level 3 or higher coastal kayak instructor certification or
BCU Level 2 Coaching + 3 Star Sea Assessment preferred.
- Minimum five years working for Outward Bound or related
- Personal and professional values consistent with the NCOBS
mission, values, and principles.
- Strong knowledge of Outward Bound history, standards, and
- An outstanding record as an instructor, trainer, course
director, and/or program director.
- Current WFR and CPR.
- Able to give and receive timely, effective oral and written
- Strong and effective leadership, supervisory, organizational,
and interpersonal skills.
- Personal initiative, motivation, and resourcefulness.
- Business management skills including basic accounting, budget
planning, and management.
- Strong presentation, writing, and computer skills.
- Cooperative attitude and ability to be flexible; good team
Compensation and Benefits:
- Per-diem of $150 a day for an estimated 22 days per month
during the length of the agreement.
- Select benefits applicable based on the number of days worked.
Must be a minimum of 196 days to trigger health benefits.
- Room and board during agreement.
- Applicants should upload their resume (including sea kayak
experience log) and cover letter through the NCOBS careers
- Applications are due by March 12, 2021
- Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis and the
position will remain open until filled.
The North Carolina Outward Bound School (NCOBS) prohibits
discrimination against and harassment of any employee or applicant
for employment because of race, color, age, religion, sex, gender,
pregnancy, genetic information, ethnic or national origin, sexual
orientation, marital status, familial status, military or veteran
status, qualified individuals with a disability on the basis of the
disability, or any other category which may be protected under
applicable local, state or federal law. NCOBS promotes respect for
all people, and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these
characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or
Powered by JazzHR
Keywords: North Carolina Outward Bound School, Jacksonville , Program Director, Executive , Beaufort, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!