Part time Mechanic 1 - Ag Protein
Company: Smithfield Foods
Posted on: January 7, 2022
Job Locations: US-NC-Magnolia Your Opportunity:Provides day to
day maintenance and repairs to ensure a safe operating fleet at the
lowest cost by performing the following duties. Maintains company
owned light, medium, and heavy vehicles and trailers by reviewing
shop orders, DVIR reports, or listening to operator description of
problem. Makes repairs to mechanical failures by removing,
replacing, assembling, and installing parts and components.
Involves sheet metal, frames, suspensions, electrical, ignition,
fuel, steering, hydraulic, and braking systems; heating and A/C
units, axles, hubs, tires, wheels, and coupling units.Core
- Performs repairs and maintenance work in a productive,
efficient and SAFE manner.
- Informs the lead technician when one assignment is complete and
another work assignment is required.
- Indicates to the lead mechanic any repairs found to be
necessary which were not previously assigned.
- Provides a list of parts needed to lead technician.
- Records all time spent and parts used on the appropriate forms
- Follows an active safety awareness program including applying
clean housekeeping practices to tools, equipment and facility.
- Follows all company policies and procedures.
- Diagnoses problems and tests all repairs.
- Assists/trains other mechanics as required.
- Possesses general knowledge of all mechanical systems
incorporated in truck chassis and makes diagnosis and repairs.
- Performs removal and replacement of all components.
- Provides all hand tools necessary to efficiently and safely
perform repairs assigned.
- Includes all aspects of Class II Vehicle Technician.
- Performs all phases of preventive maintenance.
- Performs DOT inspections.
- Responsible for being in compliance with all environmental laws
and procedures to which Smithfield subscribes.
- Incumbent will be responsible for understanding and complying
with company EMS, SIPS and BMS policies and procedures in the
performance of their job duties.
- Responsible for being in compliance with all environmental laws
- Report all environmental issues immediately to their
- Read and understand the company's emergency notification
process and how it applies to their specific worksite.
- Responsible for understanding all safety requirements of the
job and for performing the job in compliance with the safety
requirements.The above statements are intended to describe the
general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned
to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so
classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications:To
perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High School diploma or GED preferred.
- Ability to do hard physical labor.
- Strong commitment to team work.
- Valid driver's license and acceptable driving record; CDL-A
- Vehicle maintenance experience preferred.
- Mechanical experience on diesel engines preferred.
- Basic computer skills.
- Must have appropriate inventory of hand tools.
- Must be able to operate hoisting and jacking equipment.
- Welding experience preferred.
- Willing to work occasional weekends as needed.
- Must be on call for emergency situations to include but not
limited to, power outages or personnel shortages.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while
building strong working relationships and a positive work
environment.Work Environment & Physical Demands:The physical
demands and work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee should possess to successfully
perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to lift 100 pounds.
- Must be able to frequently climb over, and under.
- Must be able to walk and stand on concrete for 9 to 12 hours
- Must be able to walk an average of 2 - 4 miles per day,
occasionally up to 5 or 6.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. on a limited basis.
- Must be able to occasionally work in situations two feet above
the floor in a leaned-over or squatted position.Careers and
Benefits:To learn more about Smithfield's benefits, visit
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to
create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job - it's the foundation for a
lifelong career with training designed to help you advance
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive
benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we
operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield Foods:Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936,
Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with
agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 43,000 U.S. team members
and 16,000 European employees are dedicated to producing "Good
food. Responsibly. -" and have made us one of the world's leading
vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered
sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our
industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S.
company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across
our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of
protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of
millions of food servings to our neighbors in need. Smithfield
boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as
Smithfield -, Eckrich - and Nathan's Famous -, among many others.
For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect
with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.EEO/AA
Information:Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed
to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender
identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled
individual or any other protected group status or non-job related
characteristic as directed by law.
Keywords: Smithfield Foods, Jacksonville , Part time Mechanic 1 - Ag Protein, Engineering , Magnolia, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!